Friday 11 November 2011

My Nice Guy - Part 3

“Fucking hell, why don’t you listen to me!!??” “What? I was hungry and needed to eat” I say. “No” says G2, “you liked her too much. You were over eager. She may have liked you at the start, but you did and said everything to ensure that she didn’t like you by the end!!”

She’s right of course, and I don’t really have much of a come back to that one. I should have left when I originally planned to. “NEVER change your plans because of a date. YOU are more important!!” she says. “Yes okay, I know you’re right” I say, and it’s a lesson to take on board for date number 4 who I am meeting for coffee at midday.

I arrange to meet her at the same place I met the turnip girl two days earlier on date one and for once I am on time and I don’t even walk around the block. She phones me because she can’t find the place and so I ask her to describe where she is and I go and meet her halfway. And then I see her, and I’m slightly disappointed, and reflect that some people are obviously more photogenic that others. She has hunched shoulders and walks with a stoop in a way that makes her look fifteen years older than she actually is.

We get inside and order coffee and she talks about her life and how she’s only recently moved to London from the Midlands. And then she talks about her job and she talks about where she lives and then she talks about her job again. And after twenty minutes of this I reflect on how she hasn’t asked me a single question about myself.

I am due to visit family later today in Hertfordshire and so I know I have to escape after two hours max. We have another drink and talk some more. “So shall we grab something to eat” she says. “I’d love to, but I’m afraid I have to be somewhere this afternoon.” I tell her. “What? You said let’s meet for brunch. That’s why I haven’t eaten today!” “Er, no I didn’t, I said let’s meet for coffee” I assure her. “No, you said brunch. If I had known you only meant coffee for what (looks at watch) only two hours then I wouldn’t have bothered! Now what am I going to do with the rest of the afternoon!?” Oh god, she’s crazy! Now, there is a slim possibility that I may have said brunch, although there’s no way that I’m going to admit it now. We say goodbye outside the bar and walk in different directions. 'Jesus, what a waste of time' I muse. Four dates and all I have to show for it is a slightly deflated ego.

I’m under strict instructions not to be late to Hertfordshire as dinner is being served promptly at 5pm. It should take me about an hour to get there and so I leave my place at 4pm and get to my car to find that the tyres are low on air and the engine is running on fumes. I head to the petrol station and fill the tank before heading in to get a token for the airline. Time is short and I really need to get moving if I am going to be on time. I am in the queue to be served, when a girl walks in and asks “Does anyone know how to use the airline?” My mind is on the time as one of the guys behind the counter goes out to help. I pay for my petrol and go out and wait for the girl to finish with her tyre.

I lean by my car and check the time as I wonder what’s going on. They seem to be taking ages and I have only 50 minutes to drive a one hour journey. I walk over to see what they’re up to and find the shop assistant looking helpless and the girl looking confused. “Here, let me try” I say as I put the airline against the valve on her tyre. She clearly has a puncture as I can hear the air coming out just as quickly as is goes in. “You need to change the wheel” I say. I want to offer to help, but I really don’t have time. It’s at this point where I look at her properly. She’s about 24 and is quite gorgeous with big brown eyes and long wavy dark hair that cascades down over her shoulders. She’s wearing a fitted black sweater over tight jeans and black knee length boots.

I help her get the wheel out of the back of her car. “I’d change it for you but I’m running stupidly late as it is.” “That’s ok” she says. She’s very cute though. ‘I wonder...’ “Do know anyone who can help you change it – a boyfriend or husband?” “No” she says, looking a little lost. ‘Cool, she’s single’ She walks off to make a phone call and I back my car in behind hers and fill my tyres ready for the drive to Hertfordshire. I now have 45 minutes and I might just be able to make it if I drive fast.

I make a fake telephone call to bide time until she walks back over to the car. “You ok?” I say as I finish the call. “I’ve been trying to think of anyone I know locally who might be able to help.” “Aw thanks” she says “but my brother’s going to come and help me, I hope he can sort it.” “Cool” I say as I look at her. ‘Now, say something’ “How about you give me your number and you can let me know how you get on” I say confidently. She looks at me and I hold her stare. “Ok” she says with a grin. I hand her my phone and she types in the number. “Drop me a missed call” she says, which I do before heading on my way - my ego newly restored.

“So let me get this right” says G2 when I tell her the next day, “You got a gorgeous girl with a puncture to give you her number and you left her there without changing her wheel?” “Pretty much” I say. She shakes her head, and looks at me with a half smile “You’re a bad bad man – but still a nice guy.”

6 comments:

Shop Girl said...

Haha - wow you have been busy! Am enjoying these posts - keep on dating for all our amusement! :P

Unknown said...

I,m synthia live in newyork.Today saw one cellphone dealer thats offer Free iPhone and iPad here this website for apply.
How Get free iphone!!

Unknown said...

I,m synthia live in newyork.Today saw one cellphone dealer thats offer Free iPhone and iPad here this website for apply.

http://www.wnv24.com/habib

Anonymous said...

I,m synthia live in newyork.Today saw one cellphone dealer thats offer Free iPhone and iPad here this website for apply.

http://www.wnv24.com/habib

Anonymous said...

http://www.wnv24.com/habibxper

Anonymous said...

,ve fall in wonderfull problem.Today saw one cellphone dealer thats offer Free iPhone and iPad here this website for apply.
If anybody get iphone,ipad from they please tell me.Its only for all us offer!!
Iphone for FREE!!