Tuesday 19 January 2010

Shine

I was sitting opposite her as she talked about Christmas and the hardship of getting back into work after the holiday season. She, is a friend of my mate T. He and I used to work together and had arranged for a post new year catch up. He'd said he might bring someone with him and I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be a new flame. He had hinted as such but not confirmed anything under questioning.

She was older than his usual girlfriends I thought to myself, maybe 40 or 42. She was no less fun though and on the contrary, was quite engaging, if opinionated. There was something about her though that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Was she pretty - Check! Was she fun - Check! Was she bright - Check!

Then I realised - she was shiny. Now I don't mean greasy, as in she had the oily skin of an acne ridden teenager or anything like that. It was more shininess, as if her forehead had been made from plastic padding - smooth as a baby's whatsit and without a hint of a crease. Is there ever a polite time to ask someone as to whether they've ever played with botox? The short answer is no. But the thought having popped into my mind, just wouldn't go away. It was like being in an interview with someone who has a large boil on the end of their nose. You know you shouldn't stare, but something always draws your eyes to the unlanced growth on the end of their conk.

And so it was this time. It got worse too, as I found myself trying to make her laugh, just to see if her facial muscles would move. I couldn't really tell if they did or not and so I tried a different tack. Would she frown if we started talking politics - err no, or if she did then I couldn't tell.

I was snapped out of my train of thought by T, complaining that he hated the snow and that the bitter cold outside made his face feel dry. "You should use the cream I bought you" she said. "The cream?" I asked. "Mmm yes, the Clarins cream" she said, "oh, you should try it too, it's great for laughter lines." "You think? I said jokingly, "Maybe I should just try botox".

Not a flinch...

No comments: