Saturday 5 December 2009

FH Part 2

I forgot to update on what happened with FH last week. Better late than never though, as the saying goes.

As per usual I was running late. Luckily for me, so was she. I received a text telling me so and advising that she had no sense of direction, but was sure that she would be able to find our meeting point. – a nice little bistro in Soho. I felt more relaxed as I slowed my quick pace to a gentle stroll, arriving ten minutes late but 5 minutes before FH.

I had forgotten the sound of her voice and was quickly reminded of Bonny Langford, circa Just William (i’ll thqueam and i’ll thqueam and i’ll thqueam).

FH: Sthorry I’m late. I hope you haven’t been waiting long?

(Now to my mind, telling her I was also late would not have looked attractive, so...)

Me: Oh it’s fine, don’t worry. Did you find it ok?

FH: Yes thank you.

I couldn’t get Bonny Langford out of my head, which made me continually smile every time she spoke. This fell by the wayside however as we got into deeper into conversation. She was opinionated – a good sign. However, her opinions seemed to have been derived from the opinion section of the Daily Mail she had found and read on the tube – a bad sign. We covered a lot of ground though, food, drink, politics, celebrity. The actor John Hannah was sitting at the bar looking forlorn and checking his phone every few minutes. I’m “sthtar sthwuck” said FH. We both smiled, although i suspect for different reasons.

After more conversation and another bottle of sauvignon we left. It was getting late and had started to rain as we walked along Old Compton Street. We batted away the offers from the dodgy cab drivers that have become a permanent feature of Soho. The rain started to fall more heavily and the wind blew it in our faces. She clung tightly to my arm as I held the umbrella at an angle to shield us. “Looks like next summer has come early” I mused. She smiled as we moved to a shop doorway and kissed.

FH: I sthould catch my bus.

( kiss)

Me: Are you sure?

FH: Hmm... (kiss) no. But I think I (kiss) sthould.

(kiss - Bus goes straight past without stopping)

Me: Was that your (kiss) bus?

(kiss)

FH: Bugger

I ran my fingers through her hair and kissed her softly on her lips before pointing to a black cab that was heading towards us. “I’m going to catch that cab home to my place.” I said “Would you like to join me?” She smiled and flagged the cab.

No comments: